Friday, April 16, 2010

Open Doors

God has been speaking to me a lot lately about His plans and dreams for me!

Let´s rewind a bit...
May 2007, it was my last year of highschool and I was on the varsity track team. I had been doing track and field for six years, i loved it and God had blessed me with this talent! I had two different colleges that had invited me to run track for them, but after praying about it I felt that God was calling me to head a different direction...Mendoza, Argentina!
It was not the easiest thing leaing home and i had really enjoyed the years of running track, but felt like God was calling to move on to something new.

After arriving here and realizing that soccer is almost as important as eating, i decided to give it a shot. I had never really played it back home since it wasn´t a sport that anyone in my family played, but thought it would be fun to learn!
It wasn´t very long until i began to really enjoy planning and they asked me to join the girls team here on the YWAM base! I said yes and we began practicing each week!
Last year in August as i was playing soccer one day, I had an accident and tore my ACL (a ligament in my knee). It didn´t take me very long to realize what i had done since two years previously i had tore the ssame ligament in the other knee.
I flew home and had surgery, the doctors told me that i needed to rest and wait 6 months before playing sports again. I did my exercises and recovery as they told me, and when March rolled around i slowly and cautiously began to play soccer again.
Last week as i was playing i streched a muscle weird and it was sore for about 3 days. I was frustrated and did understand why i was getting hurt again. It had been awhile since the last time i had played, but i began to pray about it and ask God what He wanted to speak to me through this.

In my frustration i thought to myself:¨why would God give me such a strong passion and love for sports if i just keep getting hurt and then am unable to play?¨
Then suddenly i was reminded of a quote one of my leaders once told me: ¨When God gives us dreams and passions, He gives us doors to walk through. Sometimes we keep trying to open one, but it seems that no matter how hard we try to beat down the door, it won´t open...it´s then that we need to realize that there are other doors. It doesn´t mean that God doesn´t want us to walk in the dream or passion, it just means we need to find the right door to walk through in order to fulfill God´s dream.¨ I am realizing that maybe soccer is not the right door for me. As i was seeking the Lord and the door, God reminded me of something that I gave up when i came here. I gave up running, i had loved it, i wanted to run in college, i loved competing, but i had chosen something greater by coming here and now was reminding me of that dream and passion i left behind.
I don´t know what God has for me in the future, but i am seeking the right door to wak through in order to fulfill the dreams God has for my life!
I am talking with my leaders and praying about joining a track team here in Mendoza!

Please keep me in your prayers as I seek God and the doors He wants to open in my life!

2 comments:

Vicky said...

Thanks for sharing what your leader said... I wrote it down on a notecard to think over as I stare at the closed doors and wait for the open doors.

Love you, Carissa!

Laurel said...

Praying for you!


mama :)